Blogs and bloggers are growing by leaps and bounds. On last count in 2012, there were a total of 59.4 million blogs on wordpress and 87.8 million blogs on tumblr (Click here for source). The number of blogs in 2013 will be far higher.
What once consisted of a small group of bloggers has now grown to alarming proportions year after year. Since there are bloggers and more bloggers there must be something to make some stand apart in competition while others fail to make their mark.
What exactly is it that distinguishes one group of successful bloggers from the other set that are still grappling at straws?
The year 2013 has offered new insights into what bloggers should and should not do in order to be more effective where search engine optimization is concerned. Following these tips will ensure that these blogs are up in the spot light.
Blogs have moved ahead from being the product of individuals, groups and on a single topic. Blogs today are being viewed globally and major companies are promoting their work through blogs. This makes blogging even more competitive and challenging.
Step 1 – Stay on current topics
– There is nothing like the present to make people sit up and take notice. Your blog should be new, innovative and offer the latest of information for it to garner the most attention.
It could be the latest movie released, a new game on the block or a new innovation. The keyword is ‘new’ or ‘latest’ which will ensure the blog’s immediate success.
Step 2 – Satisfy yourself before you satisfy others
– Once you are satisfied with the content of your blog only then will other readers be satisfied.
You are your best critic and though this may take some time and a great deal of experience, you will be able to gauge when you have a good blog which will attract and maintain the attention of readers.
Step 3 – Encourage blog commenting
– A sure shot way to promote your blog in this current day and age is through encouragement of blog commenting. There is no reader who will fail to recognize when you value their comments and this will go a long way in gaining added readers.
Bloggers should make it a habit to encourage comments whether of the positive or negative kind. Positive blogs should be valued as encouragement to go further, while negative comments should be viewed as building blocks to a better blog in the future.
Bloggers should encourage their readers to like, post, share and comment on their blog posts as blog commenting also works in having access to back links which will enhance ranking on Google
Step 4 – Participate in Forums
– By participating in forums and social network pages such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, you have conquered the first rung on your ladder to a successful blog.
Put links on your blog wherever possible as this too leads to its recognition and accomplishment.
Step 5 – Mention blog post on business card
– Just as in the past, a business card told the world about your standing and status in society, a blog card or mention of the same on your business card will work to your advantage.
These cards can be presented to people at a meeting, social gathering or networking event in much the same way as you would a business card.
So whether it is bookmarking sites, encouraging comments, promoting blogs through social media or using images and videos on your blog, the sky is the limit for effective blogging throughout the current year.
Image Credit: Joseph Robertson