Write A Good Press Release By Following The Below Guidelines.
Compose A Clear And Precise Headline
- Your headline should convey the key point of your press release, the headline should include a “catch” phrase or word that grabs the attention of journalists to encourage them to read more of the article. It can explain a corporation’s latest accomplishments, newsworthy events, about a new product or service.
If you can try using a large font size and an attractive font style these will help to make your headline pop-out. The simplest and most effective way to create a killer headline is to gather all your critical key words and then use them to frame an attention-grabbing statement.
Compile The Body Copy
- Take your time to compile the body copy of your press release as journalists will use only this information to write up any related news story. Most journalists do not have the time to research, so what you write in the body copy will be what the journalists use to write about your momentous event. Try to give accurate data of your event such as dates, venues, and the name of the organization, targets, plans, projects and any other event details.
Start the body by expanding on the keywords used in the headline and continue to elaborate on them in compact sentences. Make your sentences and paragraphs short and precise. Avoid repeating or overusing swanky words or jargon, instead keep it simple without wasting words. Remember, nobody will keep reading the rest of your press release unless it generates interest in the first few sentences.
The Easiest Way To Write A Killer Press Release Is To Expand On The 5 Ws
- Who, What, Why, Where and When – when written precisely these will convey everything you want the reader to know. Keep a checklist of the 5 Ws.
- Who is this press release about?
- What is the press release about?
- Why is this event important?
- Where is this event taking place?
- When is this event taking place?
Once you have clearly defined the basics fill up the rest of the story with information about the product, event, people and other entities pertaining to the news.
Keep Your Press Release Brief And To The Point
- Your entire press release should not exceed three pages. Remember, the more newsworthy your press release is, the more chance it has of being picked by a journalist for further write-up.
Make Sure To Include Company Information
- Create a separate section ‘About ABC-Corporation’ and provide accurate details of your company in not more than 6 or 7 lines. This section is called the “boiler plate” and it should describe your company, its key business and policy. Include a link that points to your company website for contact details and press kit information. If possible include additional links to support your company press release.
Include Contact Details
- If journalists find your press release as newsworthy then they will wish to interview with the important individuals that are associated with the organization or event. You can either provide details of key personnel in your press release itself or if you are not comfortable with that you can provide contact details of your PR Department for further communications.