The buzz around Twitter has been huge in the past few months, we have seen Twitter traffic race past Digg and NYtimes in the month of April, we have seen companies like Dell make one million in revenue on Twitter, we have seen people live blogging events on Twitter.
Twitter will work best for you and your business only when you have a large following, I am often asked what is the fastest way to have a large following on twitter, here is how to get it
1 ) Get a relevant Twitter id :
– Your Twitter id is what is visibile to users on Twitter, so ensure you have a name that makes sense to your existence on Twitter. You may use your real name as your Twitter id or use the name of your website or blog, in my case my Twitter id is the name of my web marketing blog – WebTrafficROI.
If you have a web business I suggest you use the name of your web business. If you are an authority in your niche or want to establish yourself as an authority or expert on Twitter then use your real name.
2 ) Create an effective avatar :
– Your avatar is like your soul on Twitter so ensure you have a decent avatar. Use a simple snap shot about you or your business logo. Ensure you crop the image to fit the Twitter avatar window perfectly. When people view a stream of tweets your avatar should stand out.
3 ) Be proactive :
– Every one on Twitter starts of with zero followers, when you get on Twitter start following the opinion leaders or Experts in your niche. Be proactive. Get an idea of who these opinion leaders are by checking their followers and Twitter counter. Many have scripts that will auto follow you, and you’ll learn something by watching what they tweet about.
4 ) Send @messages to the Experts :
– Try to answer to the Tweets from Experts or ask them a question, they probably won’t answer you and that OK. All you want to do is appear to know them, the theory is “If you tweet with @joelcomm, you must be worth following”. This works, its not who you know, its who appears to know you.
5 ) Follow everyone who follows you :
– Some user will respond to you and everyone following them will see your tweets, this is great exposure for you. I use Tweet Later as my defaut auto responder to follow everyone who follows me on Twitter. Tweet Later has got amazing features that will also help you send automated direct messages.
6 ) Link to interesting stories and pictures:
– Linking interesting stories will get more exposure for your tweets, when people start to retweet. One of my pictures from my recent Mexico vacation was viewed more than 500 times.
7 ) Establish yourself as a subject expert :
– If you are a blog design expert or a social media expert, people searching for your blog design tips or social media tips are more likely to follow you and retweet your posts, giving your added exposure on Twitter.
8 ) Use the right Pro Twitter Tools :
– I use Tweet Later for auto responders and direct messages to people who follow me and Humming Bird to automatically increase my following. Humming Bird is an amazing tool that will automatically follow users based on the keywords you query, imagine following 2000 to 5000 users manually every day.
9 ) Repeat your Tweets :
– Post your most interesting tweets three times, 8 to 12 hours apart. My theory is that most people will check in at about the same time every day, so people probably will not notice your repeated tweets. Use hash tags effectively in your tweets.
10 ) Ask people to follow people :
– If you like a person’s tweets ask your follower’s to follow the person, it’s a cycle you recommend someone, someone recommends you. Take part in #FollowFriday every Friday, this activity will increase your followers.